12.08.2008

Musical Musing: Deep In Love With You, Micheal W. Smith

Sitting at your feet is where I want to be
I’m home when I am here with you
Ruined by your grace, enamored by your gaze,
I can’t resist the tenderness of you

I’m deep in love with you, Abba Father
I’m deep in love with you, Lord
My heart, it beats for you, Precious Jesus.
I’m deep in love with you, Lord.

Humbled and amazed that you would call my name
I never have to search again
And there’s a deep desire - It’s burning like a fire
To know you as my closest friend

I’m deep in love with you, Abba Father
I’m deep in love with you, Lord
My heart, it beats for you, Precious Jesus.
I’m deep in love with you, Lord.

I’m deep in love with you, Abba Father
I’m deep in love with you, Lord
My heart, it beats for you, Precious Jesus.
I’m deep in love with you, Lord.

You’re golden?, my redeemer
Your blood runs through my veins
My love for you is deeper
Than it was yesterday
I yield? through the curtain
Pardoned by your grace
Oh you’re the lover of my soul
You’re the lover of my soul
I’m deep in love with you, Lord

I’m deep in love with you, Abba Father
I’m deep in love with you, Lord
My heart, it beats for you, Precious Jesus.
I’m deep in love with you, Lord.

I’m deep in love with you, Abba Father
I’m deep in love with you, Lord
My heart, it beats for you, Precious Jesus.
I’m deep in love with you, Lord.

I’m deep in love with you, Abba Father
I’m deep in love with you, Lord
My heart, it beats for you, Precious Jesus.
I’m deep in love with you, Lord.

I’m deep in love with you, Abba Father
I’m deep in love with you, Lord
My heart, it beats for you, Precious Jesus.
I’m deep in love with you, Lord.

I’m deep in love with you, Abba Father
I’m deep in love with you, Lord
My heart, it beats for you, Precious Jesus.
I’m deep in love with you, Lord.

My heart, it beats for you, Abba Father.
I’m deep in love with you, Lord.
My heart, it beats for you, Precious Jesus.
I’m deep in love with you, Lord.

Let me apologize first for the question marked lyrics; no one on the internet that I found had these yet; the album was just released late October/early November (right before I went to Europe, if I remember correctly)… so I was transcribing them as I listened to the song on repeat on my computer. I gave you what I understood… I’m not sure I got them right.

I’m not worried though; the ideas that made me fall in love with this song (even though it is repetitive) are in the first verse and in that repeated verse, not the bridge. It dovetails for me into another song I’ve mused about… Casting Crowns, “Your Love Is Extravagant”. Can you see where the two would remind me of each other?

“Ruined by your grace, enamoured by your gaze, I can’t resist the tenderness of you…”
“Your love is extravagant”

“Sitting at your feet is where I want to be; I’m home when I’m here with you.”
“Your fragrance is intoxicating in our secret place”

“And there’s a deep desire - It’s burning like a fire - To know you as my closest friend”
“Your friendship, it is intimate”, “You considered me a friend”

“I’m deep in love with you… my heart, it beats for you,”
“Capture my heart again”

Oh, Beloved… I know this isn’t “Christmas” as you normally think of it. I know there is no Santa here, no reindeer, no elves or snow… no magi or shepherds, no virgin or angels… and yet, Beloved, this is why we have Christmas. This is why Christmas is so beautiful and alive for me. This is why I loved The Shack, because you see, Beloved, mine is not an empty religion made up of rote and ritual, but a living relationship, energized by conversation and stunning love. Stunning, I tell you. Do you remember what I said about “extravagant” love in my musing on the Casting Crowns’ song? (look at that! I linked it for you!... but I’ll give you a tidy summary anyway).

Extravagant love “spends much more than is necessary or wise”, it “goes beyond what is deserved or justifiable,” and it “exceeds the bounds of reason”. This is the love that our God pours out on us. Extravagant. Excessive. Beyond what we deserve, beyond what is justified… beyond what is justifiable. God’s Love spent EVERYTHING for us, casting off glory to take up humanity, and all for love of us. Loved that completely, that fully, that… that extravagantly, I am ruined for anything less. Nothing else could compare, and thus God’s love has left me ruined for any other lesser love to try to take His place. It’s like if the first time you ever ate meat, you had the best, most delicious, perfect cut of meat ever… everything else would pale in comparison. Burgers would be nothing… you’d forever be ruined by that ONE cut of meat that defined what meat is supposed to be (I know, really weak example, but how else do I express the idea of being ruined by something so good?)

Beloved, This is Christmas. This is the miracle Emmanuel, God with us. This is the great condescension, God Almighty, the Creator, putting on mortality and coming to earth to woo us and win us back to Himself. This is why I celebrate Christmas… not because a baby was born in a stable, but because of who that baby was. Beloved, that baby was Emmanuel. That was Love enfleshed. That was Extravagant Love, going beyond the bounds of reason or what we deserved, longing only to love us all, longing only to call us His own Beloved.

Did you know that’s why I call you “Beloved”? Because you are. You ARE. Even if you don’t know my Savior yet, even if you’re still skeptical about this Jesus I speak of, even if you doubt how my God could be Good and All-Powerful and I could still have experienced the things I did… Beloved, none of that changes the fact that Jesus came to this earth for YOU. That extravagant love spent itself for YOU. That right now, sitting on the throne of God, the Lamb of God, the Lion of Judah, the Baby we celebrate at Christmas is looking down at you and LOVING YOU more than you can imagine. As I write these words, as you read them, Beloved, He is longing to ruin you with a love that will blow your mind and leave you as enamoured with Him as I am.

And you can take Him all your questions, all your doubts, all your problems. All your whys, or why nots. All of it. Beloved, all He wants is to love you, and for you to learn to love Him back… and until you open the dialogue, until you consent to relationship with Him, He can’t answer your questions, and you can never experience the life-changing love that’s being poured out on you now. I want you to celebrate Christmas with me, Beloved. Won’t you risk knowing my Christ? Isn’t extravagant love and a grace so good it “ruins” you a risk worth taking? You’ll never know unless you try.

No comments: